Texture Analysis SolutionsApple Breeding Trials and Ripeness
- Objective ripeness correlation across varieties
- Repeatable measurement of bio-yield and skin rupture
- Industry-standard penetrometry fixtures
- Quantified hardness, firmness, succulence and body texture
Horticulture Research Station wanted a precision penetrometer for hardness testing of different varieties of apple during plant breeding trials. Flexibility for future test configurations were also a requirement.
Textural properties and structure of different varieties of apple were identified as critical sensory characteristics. Changes in these properties needed to be monitored during plant breeding work.
Penetration testing expanding upon the traditional Magness-Taylor technique provided the research team with detailed information relating to apple firmness, bio-yield and skin rupture or toughness.
- Measure changes in texture between varieties
- Investigate changes on storage and ripening in different modified atmospheres
- Investigate functional properties and performance in finished products e.g. puree, juice, sauces and preserves
- Simple test to objectively measure apple and other fruit textures
- Software facilitated automatic statistical analysis